Green & Sustainable
Sustainability is defined as "meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs". Palmetto Brick Company, the Southeast's Premier Brick Maker, is dedicated to creating innovating methods to provide sustainable products that balance economic and societal goals. Palmetto Brick Company believes sustainability means much more than a certification from a rating system.
Founded in 1919, located along the banks of the scenic Pee Dee River, Palmetto Brick Company has consistently found innovated ways to be good stewards of our environment.
- Our most efficient state-of-the-art manufacturing facility recycles excess heat from the firing process to run the dryers.
- The introduction of fly-ash into many of our products reduces our fuel cost in excess of 20 percent.
- The use of pre-consumer recyclable content up to 90 percent speaks volumes of our commitment to the environment.
- The recycling of scrap material before firing saves on valuable energy and land use.
- Recycling fired waste material into brick chips for landscaping is another way Palmetto Brick alleviates environmental waste.
- The use of scrubbers on our kilns eliminates any contaminants that might be released into the atmosphere.
- Palmetto Brick Company reclaims its mine sites into lakes and wetlands to support an abundance of plants and wildlife.
As good stewards of our environment Palmetto Brick Company encourages architects and builders to take advantage of their ability to gain LEED Certifications by using our products:
- MR 4.1 and MR 4.2—PBC uses up to 90% pre-consumer waste in brick to help architects and builders obtain valuable points toward LEED Certification.
- MR 5.1 and MR 5.2—98 percent of all materials used to manufacture Palmetto Brick are mined on our site or within 22 miles of our plant. As long as your project is within 500 miles of our plant you meet the requirements to obtain points toward LEED Certification under MR 5.1 and MR5.